I’ll come up with more detailed analysis later on but for now here’s a quick list of my first impressions of the newest expansion.
- The pandaren starting zone is pretty. In fact, pretty much anything about the pandas is on the pretty side. Forsaken would go insane over there.
- Girl pandas lay a bit too heavily on the cute side. I mean, we’re going to fight dragons, not to a pillow fight with Arthas
- The wandering isle storyline and quests are surprisingly well done. It’s not revolutionary but it’s solid enough.
- Pokemon battles are exactly that, pokemon battles and I found myself hunting for rare pets faster than I expected.
- Using remixes of old game music for the pokemon battles was a great idea, loved it.
- If I had to give an overall impression I’ll say that Pandaria feels like a solid expansion. I think that instead of trying to reinvent itself once more, they went for more tried and tested designs. In short, they went for polish instead of huge changes and I think it serves them well.