Yesterday, after 2 years of waiting, I finally got to play The Old Republic for the first time. Sadly, I wasn’t able to enjoy it in the best condition since I’m suffering from a bad toothache at the moment and I was playing under the influence of painkillers but still, through the haze of the medication and the pain, I was floored by the game.
I’m not going to do a play by play post of all the details of that first night but rather I’ll just bullet point things that caught my attention.
- I made a republic trooper, he’s big and brutish looking enough. I was really thrilled by the classic “yellow text in space” intro, way to tap into that nostalgia Bioware!
- By level 5, I get to throw sticky bombs on people and watch them panic, my blaster set people on fire and I can throw grenades. Who said evil guys have all the fun?
- I decided to play my trooper as a brainwashed republic fanatic. Turn out that being super patriotic grants you more darkside points than lightside points.
- … it may also be due to the fact I threatened nearly everyone who didn’t agree with me… damn refugees…
- *Spoiler alert*. There’s a game of “live bomb roulette going on… and you can participate? I would expect that from the Sith… not republic.
- Wich leads me to this, I love that Republic is not goody two shoe and gets multiple sides and moralities. Not pure black and white and I love that.
- Heroic quests actually take more than one person to complete them. I was somewhat amused at seeing the smugglers with their companions do Savrik Island while the troopers where looking for friends in chat.
- Took down the Savrik champion with only 2 people! /flex
- I ended the night at level 9, looking forward to see what happens next!